…To join my team for Free go to and get unlimited Health and Fitness tips from top trainers and nutritionists in the country. Team Beachbody Club
Go online and search for “Meal Replacement Shake” on Google and you’ll get about 10,400,000 results. How about walking through any health store, your local grocery store, convenience store or gas station, even your local pharmacy you’re going to see at least one shelf filled protein powders, weight loss powders or smoothies promising they are healthy and can get your the results you are wanting for your nutrition. While there are a few that come close to being all natural and healthy for you many of them FALL SHORT and odds are have the same ingredients that are linked to weight gain, cravings and preventative disease.
The last half century has seen a steady increase in the incidence and prevalence of chronic inflammatory diseases with further increases expected as more GMO ingredient filled products are introduced into the market and these ingredients are what’s filling our shelves and online products everywhere.
In this series I will be dissecting the ingredients of these products that I have seen out in the market that be found gyms, health food stores, local grocery stores and gas stations. I am writing these not to bash these products but to help YOU become aware of what’s truly going into those “healthy” alternatives that is highly advertised as a healthy shake, protein or energy drink.
I am not a nutritionist or personal trainer, I am coach that has done extensive research on the ingredients of products I was at one time drinking or interested in drinking. But in 2010 when I was diagnosed with an Auto-Immune disease I discovered many of the foods I was eating or considering eating were actually the cause of the autoimmune disease coming out of remission and showing it’s ugly face. It didn’t happen over night. It happened over years and years of abuse from ingredients that are deemed safe by the FDA but actually can create disorders or worse death. These shakes, meal replacements, energy drinks were also adding to my constant weight struggles from my teenage years to my early 40’s and it was time to stop putting such ingredients in my body.
I also don’t want to see more people harming their bodies more than they already have and being taken advantage of my some company that clearly identifies their bottom line of making money as more important than the health of their customers.
- Crystalline Fructose. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has performed studies that suggest that fructose contributes to insulin resistance and obesity, depletion of vitamins and minerals, cardiovascular disease, and more. But one thing you must understand is that there are natural occurring fructose in fruits. So a meal replacement shake will have natural fructose if there is whole fruit in the mix but reviewing the label of Advocare I only found 2 bromelain and papain at the very bottom of the ingredients list.
- Sucralose. Sucralose is a synthetic additive created by chlorinating sugar. The chemical structure of the chlorine is almost the same of that in pesticide DDT and there are numerous side effect associated with Sucralose such as headaches, stomach issues, skin rashes and muscle aches. I only have 2 words for Sucralose “STAY AWAY!!!” This one ingredient is sabotaging your health. Shane “The People’s Chemist” Ellison of Hotze Health & Wellness Center says if you could make one simple change in your diet to help you melt fat, sleep better, and improve your memory … wouldn’t you do it? What if that same simple dietary change could increase your energy, conquer depression, save your eyesight, restore your mental alertness, get your bedroom energy rockin’, and increase your lifespan? Research Shows Splenda And Sucralose Have Extremely Harmful Effects on Humans and more and more studies have made it very clear the potential for disturbing side effects from the ingestion of artificial sweeteners.
- Artificial Flavor. Follow these links to get the story on artificial flavoring. Honestly, please avoid them at all cost!!! There is nothing natural about Natural Flavoring. http://duffitness.com/natural-flavor/ & http://duffitness.com/artificial-flavoring/
- Synthetic Vitamins. Take a look at the label, below, and you will see an entire list of synthetic vitamins. Synthetic Vitamins are manufactured synthetically with chemicals and do not come straight from their natural sources. They are made to mimic the way natural vitamins act in our bodies. Natural vitamins are derived directly from plant material containing the vitamin, not produced in a test tube.
- Vegetable Oils. Many people perceive vegetable oils as healthy. Maybe it’s because they have the word “vegetable” in them. Well vegetables are good for you right… So vegetable oils should be too… Far from the truth!!! These vegetable oils are processed seed oils like soybean oil, sunflower oil, corn oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, safflower oil and a few others. This is leading to physiological changes within our bodies and contributing to multiple diseases.
- GMO. A GMO is a plant, animal, or microorganism whose genetic sequence has been modified to introduce genes from another species. Because the long-term impact of GMOs on our health isn’t known yet, they’re forbidden by the Soil Association Standards for Organic Food and Farming. Furthermore, in order to qualify as organic, animals can’t be fed GMOs, nor can they be fed antibiotics, added hormones, or other drugs. It is not currently required, however, that GMOs be mentioned on food labels, so it’s very likely that anything not certified organic contains some GMO ingredients. Also, GMO Duffitness – 10 Reasons to Eat Organically—and Locally http://duffitness.com/organically/. There are currently 26 countries that ban the use of GMO’s and the US isn’t one of them.
I could go on about Advocare but what’s the point? These 6 ingredients alone will cause me to never touch this stuff.
I prefer my Shakeology and have 1 everyday. Why Shakeology? Look at the label and ask yourself what those ingredients are? Here’s a clue. They are WHOLE FOODS that humans have been eating for 1000’s of years and are linked to helping the human body function better.
THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL OR POWDER THAT CAN TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF! But it can come off easier with WHOLE FOOD and daily exercise. It comes off with hard work, behavior modification, and patience. Any program that promises you instant results may cause you to initially lose a few pounds, but as time goes on you’ll gain the weight back and only end up losing money.Again the choice is up to you. If you do not wish to use Shakeology in your plans to lose weight, then that’s ok. Beachbody coaches are not here to “push” products. We inform you of what we have available which has helped us and may help you. You make the choice that best suits your lifestyle and goals. I may be contacted here with any further questions.
Meal Replacement Shakes
Nutrition and metabolism
Global Healing Center
Consumer Health Digest
If so please comment below and I will add more like it. Thank you for stopping by Duffitness, your Beachbody Coach. Not only did Beachbody help me lose weight and live healthier but it’s helped me in all aspects of my life. Thank you for reading, Chris Duffield.