…To join my team for Free go to and get unlimited Health and Fitness tips from top trainers and nutritionists in the country. Team Beachbody Club
Go online and search for “Meal Replacement Shake” on Google and you’ll get about 10,400,000 results.How about walking through any health store, your local grocery store, convenience store or gas station, even your local pharmacy you’re going to see at least one shelf filled protein powders, weight loss powders or smoothies promising they are healthy and can get your the results you are wanting for your nutrition. While there are a few that come close to being all natural and healthy for you many of them FALL SHORT and odds are have the same ingredients that are linked to weight gain, cravings and preventative disease.The last half century has seen a steady increase in the incidence and prevalence of chronic inflammatory diseases with further increases expected as more GMO ingredient filled products are introduced into the market and these ingredients are what’s filling our shelves and online products everywhere.In this series I will be dissecting the ingredients of these products that I have seen out in the market that be found gyms, health food stores, local grocery stores and gas stations. I am writing these not to bash these products but to help YOU become aware of what’s truly going into those “healthy” alternatives that is highly advertised as a healthy shake, protein or energy drink.
I am not a nutritionist or personal trainer, I am coach that has done extensive research on the ingredients of products I was at one time drinking or interested in drinking. But in 2010 when I was diagnosed with an Auto-Immune disease I discovered many of the foods I was eating or considering eating were actually the cause of the autoimmune disease coming out of remission and showing it’s ugly face. It didn’t happen over night. It happened over years and years of abuse from ingredients that are deemed safe by the FDA but actually can create disorders or worse death. These shakes, meal replacements, energy drinks were also adding to my constant weight struggles from my teenage years to my early 40’s and it was time to stop putting such ingredients in my body.
I also don’t want to see more people harming their bodies more than they already have and being taken advantage of my some company that clearly identifies the bottom line as more important than the health of their customers.
- Fibersol. What is Fibersol-2? 2 Digestion Resistant Maltodextrin is great for consumers because it s a soluble dietary fiber that doesn’t act like one. It doesn’t affect the taste of foods and doesn’t leave clear or transparent beverages cloudy or gritty. But its functionality isn t limited to consumers. It is made from corn starch. CORN STARCH???
Well Cornstarch Cornstarch is used in countless food items ranging from snack foods such as cakes, cookies and doughnuts, to beverages such as fruit juice, soft drinks and beer, to meats such as sausage, bologna and hotdogs. It is also used in ice cream, cereals and condiments. Consuming an excessive amount of these products leads to a myriad of health problems including obesity, high blood pressure and cancer. In addition, the consumption of large quantities of raw cornstarch by pregnant women is a compulsive disorder that can cause pregnancy and delivery complications. Corn Starch is also one of the mass-produced ingredients that either contain Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) or form MSG during processing. It’s like a drug & kills your brain cells.
- Aminogen is a blend of digestive proteases, known as enzymes, developed from two fungal strands, Aspergillus niger* and aspergillus oryzae*. Both are commonly used in industrial food fermentation processes for their ability to break down protein.
Aminogen is a chemical compound found in many different supplements and produced by multiple manufacturers. It works in combination with amino acids in the body to enhance their absorption and aid the process of digestion. Aminogen process less gas!!! Not bad right? Well Aminogen is a patented “designer” enzyme (made by Triarco Industries, it comes from plants – hence the “designer” label). Doesn’t personally look good to me because this enzyme is produced in a petri dish.
- Soy Protein Isolate. Well I could go on in details about soy protein isolate but I’ll just stick with the knowall and it’s negative effects on the thyroid function. Not all Soy is bad but just say NO to processed soy. That includes soy protein isolate, it is genetically engineered (typically made from Monsanto’s Roundup soybeans). They don’t have the thousands of years of traditional use that whole soy foods do, are processed, and contain unhealthy fats and other compounds.
- Natural and Artificial Flavor. Follow these links to get the story on these 2 ingredients. Honestly, please avoid them. There is nothing natural about Natural Flavoring.http://duffitness.com/natural-flavor/ & http://duffitness.com/artificial-flavoring/
- Sodium Caseinate. “WOWZERS” Watch out for this one Lactose intolerant people out there. Most allergic reactions to cow milk and cheese products, aside from lactose intolerance, are due to the presence of casein, according to the textbook “Human Biochemistry and Disease.” Whey protein produces far fewer allergic reactions in comparison. Further, casein breaks down to produce the peptide casomorphin, which acts primarily as a histamine releaser and contributes to allergic reactions, but some research indicates it might aggravate the symptoms of autism, according to “Human Biochemistry and Disease.” Sodium caseinate is made by mixing extracted casein with a sodium compound such as sodium hydroxide. Then the mix is dried to produce sodium caseinate powder. Sodium caseinate retains the original protein, but in other words IT IS PROCESSED.
- Sucralose. Sucralose is a synthetic additive created by chlorinating sugar. The chemical structure of the chlorine is almost the same of that in pesticide DDT and there are numerous side effect associated with Sucralose such as headaches, stomach issues, skin rashes and muscle aches. I only have 2 words for Sucralose “STAY AWAY!!!” This one ingredient is sabotaging your health. Shane “The People’s Chemist” Ellison of Hotze Health & Wellness Center says if you could make one simple change in your diet to help you melt fat, sleep better, and improve your memory … wouldn’t you do it? What if that same simple dietary change could increase your energy, conquer depression, save your eyesight, restore your mental alertness, get your bedroom energy rockin’, and increase your lifespan? Research Shows Splenda And Sucralose Have Extremely Harmful Effects on Humans and more and more studies have made it very clear the potential for disturbing side effects from the ingestion of artificial sweeteners.
I could go on about Visalus but what’s the point? These 6 ingredients alone will cause me to never touch this stuff. What is also sad is that producers are only required to post 80% of what’s in it on the label. I’d hate to see what they put in there not on the label. The sub ingredients of a food that is an ingredient in another food may be declared parenthetically following the name of the ingredient or may be declared by dispersing each ingredient in its order of predominance in the ingredient statement without naming the original ingredient. So in summary the ingredients of foods you may be eating don’t necessarily have ALL the sub-ingredients listed.
I prefer my Shakeology and have 1 everyday. Why Shakeology? Look at the label and ask yourself what those ingredients are? Here’s a clue. They are WHOLE FOODS that humans have been eating for 1000’s of years and are linked to helping the human body function better.
THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL OR POWDER THAT CAN TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF! But it can come off easier with WHOLE FOOD and daily exercise. It comes off with hard work, behavior modification, and patience. Any program that promises you instant results may cause you to initially lose a few pounds, but as time goes on you’ll gain the weight back and only end up losing money.Again the choice is up to you. If you do not wish to use Shakeology in your plans to lose weight, then that’s ok. Beachbody coaches are not here to “push” products. We inform you of what we have available which has helped us and may help you. You make the choice that best suits your lifestyle and goals. I may be contacted here with any further questions.
Healthy Families for God
Nutrition and metabolism
Hotze Health & Wellness Center
Seay Stanford Visales
If so please comment below and I will add more like it. Thank you for stopping by Duffitness, your Beachbody Coach. Not only did Beachbody help me lose weight and live healthier but it’s helped me in all aspects of my life. Thank you for reading, Chris Duffield.