…To join my team for Free go to and get unlimited Health and Fitness tips from top trainers and nutritionists in the country. Team Beachbody Club
Go online and search for “Meal Replacement Shake” on Google and you’ll get about 10,400,000 results. How about walking through any health store, your local grocery store, convenience store or gas station, even your local pharmacy you’re going to see at least one shelf filled protein powders, weight loss powders or smoothies promising they are healthy and can get your the results you are wanting for your nutrition. While there are a few that come close to being all natural and healthy for you many of them FALL SHORT and odds are have the same ingredients that are linked to weight gain, cravings and preventative disease.The last half century has seen a steady increase in the incidence and prevalence of chronic inflammatory diseases with further increases expected as more GMO ingredient filled products are introduced into the market and these ingredients are what’s filling our shelves and online products everywhere.In this series I will be dissecting the ingredients of these products that I have seen out in the market that be found gyms, health food stores, local grocery stores and gas stations. I am writing these not to bash these products but to help YOU become aware of what’s truly going into those “healthy” alternatives that is highly advertised as a healthy shake, protein or energy drink.
I am not a nutritionist or personal trainer, I am coach that has done extensive research on the ingredients of products I was at one time drinking or interested in drinking. But in 2010 when I was diagnosed with an Auto-Immune disease I discovered many of the foods I was eating or considering eating were actually the cause of the autoimmune disease coming out of remission and showing it’s ugly face. It didn’t happen over night. It happened over years and years of abuse from ingredients that are deemed safe by the FDA but actually can create disorders or worse death. These shakes, meal replacements, energy drinks were also adding to my constant weight struggles from my teenage years to my early 40’s and it was time to stop putting such ingredients in my body.
I also don’t want to see more people harming their bodies more than they already have and being taken advantage of my some company that clearly identifies their bottom line of making money as more important than the health of their customers.
I see many synthetic and processed ingredients in this meal replacement from LeVel. Even on the packaging it says “With an optimal blend of sweet and creamy flavor from our finest cocoa powder, this delicious milk chocolate shake will take you back to your days of drinking chocolate milk as a kid.”
- Soy Protein Isolate – The proprietary protein blend of Milk protein concentrate and soy protein isolate is Denatured GMO protein. Numerous artificial flavorings, particularly MSG, are added to soy protein isolate.
- Maltodextrin – Foods labeled “natural” can be deceiving, and maltodextrin is no different. It’s derived from plants, but it’s highly processed. Generally, maltodextrin comes from corn, rice, or potato starch. It also can be made from wheat. The starches are cooked and then acids or enzymes are added to break it down further, before resulting in a white powder. Several studies have linked maltodextrin consumption to the suppression of “good bacteria” in the digestive system. This potentially puts people who consume a lot of the additive at risk for bacterial infections such as salmonella or E.coli. Found in numerous processed foods and drinks, the starchy filler is likely used in such small amounts as to have little effect on healthy people. However, people with diabetes and others who need to monitor their blood sugar levels should keep an eye out for this ingredient.
- Artificial Flavor – Follow these links to get the story on artifical flavoring. Honestly, please avoid them at all cost!!! There is nothing natural about Natural Flavoring. http://duffitness.com/natural-flavor/ & http://duffitness.com/artificial-flavoring/
- Safflower or canola oil – Canola oil is made from the hybridization of rape seed. The rape plant (Brassica rapa or Brassica campestris) is a close relative of broccoli, cabbage, mustard greens, and kale. In its original form, rape plants produce a seed oil that contains high levels (20-50%) of a 22-carbon monounsaturated fat called erucic acid that has been shown to cause a wide variety of pathological changes in laboratory animals.
- Sucralose – Sucralose is a synthetic additive created by chlorinating sugar. The chemical structure of the chlorine is almost the same of that in pesticide DDT and there are numerous side effect associated with Sucralose such as headaches, stomach issues, skin rashes and muscle aches. I only have 2 words for Sucralose “STAY AWAY!!!” This one ingredient is sabotaging your health. Shane “The People’s Chemist” Ellison of Hotze Health & Wellness Center says if you could make one simple change in your diet to help you melt fat, sleep better, and improve your memory … wouldn’t you do it? What if that same simple dietary change could increase your energy, conquer depression, save your eyesight, restore your mental alertness, get your bedroom energy rockin’, and increase your lifespan? Research Shows Splenda And Sucralose Have Extremely Harmful Effects on Humans and more and more studies have made it very clear the potential for disturbing side effects from the ingestion of artificial sweeteners. – /li>
- Cocoa processed with Alkali – Treatment of cocoa with alkali does have a detrimental impact on what you get from eating natural cocoa by reducing flavanols; about 40% of the natural level of flavanols is retained on average for lightly Dutched powders and an average of about 22% is retained in medium alkali treated powders. Since natural cocoa has a very high content of flavanols. Medium alkali processing still leave the flavanol content in the top 10% of measured foods with detectable flavanols in the USDA database. Compared to natural cocoa powder, alkali treatment or Dutching does substantially reduce the level of flavanols in cocoa powders and represents an important processing step during which losses can occur.
- GMO. The labeling mentions processed and concentrate a few times on the ingredients which alerts me that there may be many GMO ingredients in this. A GMO is a plant, animal, or microorganism whose genetic sequence has been modified to introduce genes from another species. Because the long-term impact of GMOs on our health isn’t known yet, they’re forbidden by the Soil Association Standards for Organic Food and Farming. Furthermore, in order to qualify as organic, animals can’t be fed GMOs, nor can they be fed antibiotics, added hormones, or other drugs. It is not currently required, however, that GMOs be mentioned on food labels, so it’s very likely that anything not certified organic contains some GMO ingredients. Also, GMO Duffitness – 10 Reasons to Eat Organically—and Locally http://duffitness.com/organically/. There are currently 26 countries that ban the use of GMO’s and the US isn’t one of them.
This product may work for you but if you care about your health you should be concerned about the processing behind the ingredients.
I prefer my Shakeology and have 1 everyday. Why Shakeology? Look at the label and ask yourself what those ingredients are? Here’s a clue. They are WHOLE FOODS that humans have been eating for 1000’s of years and are linked to helping the human body function better.
THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL OR POWDER THAT CAN TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF! But it can come off easier with WHOLE FOOD and daily exercise. It comes off with hard work, behavior modification, and patience. Any program that promises you instant results may cause you to initially lose a few pounds, but as time goes on you’ll gain the weight back and only end up losing money.Again the choice is up to you. If you do not wish to use Shakeology in your plans to lose weight, then that’s ok. Beachbody coaches are not here to “push” products. We inform you of what we have available which has helped us and may help you. You make the choice that best suits your lifestyle and goals. I may be contacted here with any further questions.
Sugar and Sweet
Fitness for Travel
Global Healing Center
Real Food Heal Whole Health
If so please comment below and I will add more like it. Thank you for stopping by Duffitness, your Beachbody Coach. Not only did Beachbody help me lose weight and live healthier but it’s helped me in all aspects of my life. Thank you for reading, Chris Duffield.