…To join my team for Free go to and get unlimited Health and Fitness tips from top trainers and nutritionists in the country. Team Beachbody Club
Go online and search for “Weight Loss Drink” on Google and you’ll get about 50,200,000 results. How about walking through any health store, your local grocery store, convenience store or gas station, even your local pharmacy you’re going to see at least one shelf filled protein powders, weight loss powders or smoothies promising they are healthy and can get your the results you are wanting for your nutrition. While there are a few that come close to being all natural and healthy for you many of them FALL SHORT and odds are have the same ingredients that are linked to weight gain, cravings and preventative disease.The last half century has seen a steady increase in the incidence and prevalence of chronic inflammatory diseases with further increases expected as more GMO ingredient filled products are introduced into the market and these ingredients are what’s filling our shelves and online products everywhere.In this series I will be dissecting the ingredients of these products that I have seen out in the market found in gyms, health food stores, local grocery stores and gas stations.
I am writing these not to bash these products but to help YOU become aware of what’s truly going into those “healthy” alternatives that is highly advertised as a weight loss dietary supplement, healthy shake, protein or energy drink.
I am not a nutritionist or personal trainer, I am coach that has done extensive research on the ingredients of products I was at one time drinking or interested in drinking. But in 2010 when I was diagnosed with an Auto-Immune disease I discovered many of the foods I was eating or considering eating were actually the cause of the autoimmune disease coming out of remission and showing it’s ugly face.
It didn’t happen over night. It happened over years and years of abuse from ingredients that are deemed safe by the FDA but actually can create disorders or worse death. These weight loss supplements, weight loss shakes, meal replacements, energy drinks were also adding to my constant weight struggles from my teenage years to my early 40’s and it was time to stop putting such ingredients in my body.
I also don’t want to see more people harming their bodies more than they already have and being taken advantage of my some company that clearly identifies the bottom line as more important than the health of their customers.
How Does Plexus Slim Work?
This diet powder is based on all natural ingredients that burn fat, not muscle. Manufacturers claim that Plexus Slim works by stabilizing blood sugar levels and keeping hunger at bay. It also lowers triglyceride and cholesterol levels, regulates blood pressure, and helps reduce binge eating. Its key ingredients are chlorogenic acid, alpha lipoic acid, and garcinia cambogia.
When evaluating the safety of a dietary supplement like Plexus, it is important to know whether the supplement itself has undergone any testing and, if so, what kind(s). Since no published, human clinical studies evaluating the safety and efficacy of Plexus Slim seem to have been conducted, there are some additional important questions that must be asked when evaluating its safety. Such as what are the ingredients and where do they come from?
- Chlorogenic acid (Green Coffee Caffea arabica Bean) – is a natural chemical compound which is the ester of caffeic acid and quinic acid. Chlorogenic acid is found in raw green coffee beans but when the coffee beans are roasted, the chlorogenic acid is mostly destroyed. So, the potential healthy benefits from drinking regular coffee (i.e. coffee brewed from roasted coffee bean) would likely be significantly less than if taking a green coffee chlorogenic acid nutritional supplement. Bottom Line: Green coffee has been shown to inhibit weight gain in animal studies. This may be due to decreased absorption of carbohydrates from the diet, or via some other mechanism.
- Garcinia Cambogia – on its own is pretty darn delicious and healthy, is a tropical fruit grown in Indonesia. Garcinia Cambogia Premium was proven to increase your metabolism and reduce BMI significantly. However, the problem encountered by many hoping to embrace this great new dieting system, is that nearly 90% of the imitation Garcinia Cambogia products out there are NOT pure. When using extracts the source must be questioned and in this case I could not find any proof of where the extract is being obtained from for Plexus Slim.
- Polydextrose – this is the one of the main ingredients I am concerned about. The reason I am concerned is that companies use Polydextrose as a bulking agent to enhance the taste of reduced-calorie foods, polydextrose is commonly used as a substitute for sugar, starch and fat in many commercial food products. Some of the side effects of Polydextrose are abdominal cramping, bloating and excessive gas.
- Natural Flavors – A BIG ALERT for me when I see Natural Flavors. It’s almost in every package on the shelf or purchased online. So you must take a look at the ingredients. What are the ingredients? Are they whole foods or extracts. If extracts than this send off “Alarms” for me. See this blog for the details on Natural Flavors. CLICK HERE
- Chromium – Since Chromium stimulates the activity of enzymes involved in the metabolism of glucose for energy and the synthesis of fatty acids and cholesterol; it appears to increase the effectiveness of insulin and its ability to handle glucose, preventing hypoglycemia or diabetes. Recommended daily requirement for ages 19-50 years of age Men 35 mcg and Female 25 mcg per day. For 50 or more Men 30mcg and Female 20mcg per day. Since Plexus Slim contains 200mcg I personally would take caution to using something that provides over 5 times the daily recommended amount.
- Extracts (ingredients are extracts) – Another alarm goes off for me when I see extracts. Extracts can be extremely concentrated and powerful. The FDA designates that in order to be called an extract, the solution must contain at least 35 percent alcohol by volume. The extract solution that plant material is mixed with is usually ethyl alcohol that’s been distilled from fermented corn.
One of the biggest alerts I have come across is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warning letter to Plexus Worldwide stating that a couple of their products were misrepresented on the Plexus website. Under section 201(g)(1)(B) of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (the Act) [21 U.S.C. § 321(g)(1)(B). Concerning to me, enough to stay away from a product of a company that is claiming one of their products as a the most natural way to lose weight. When is FACT, for generations the the most natural way to lose weight is to exercise daily, eat clean whole foods and keep caloric intake below the amount exuded during the day. That is the “most natural way”.
I prefer my Shakeology and have 1 everyday. Why Shakeology? Look at the label and ask yourself what those ingredients are? Here’s a clue. They are WHOLE FOODS that humans have been eating for 1000’s of years and are linked to helping the human body function better.
THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL OR POWDER THAT CAN TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF! But it can come off easier with WHOLE FOOD and daily exercise. It comes off with hard work, behavior modification, and patience. Any program that promises you instant results may cause you to initially lose a few pounds, but as time goes on you’ll gain the weight back and only end up losing money.Again the choice is up to you. If you do not wish to use Shakeology in your plans to lose weight, then that’s ok. Beachbody coaches are not here to “push” products. We inform you of what we have available which has helped us and may help you. You make the choice that best suits your lifestyle and goals. I may be contacted here with any further questions.
Diet Pills Reviews
Natural Health Advisor
Health Food Post
Woman’s Health Magazine
If so please comment below and I will add more like it. Thank you for stopping by Duffitness, your Beachbody Coach. Not only did Beachbody help me lose weight and live healthier but it’s helped me in all aspects of my life. Thank you for reading, Chris Duffield.